Why don’t we discuss the social side?
Scientific values: objective and rational — “what we do” (or tell ourselves).
don’t have language to discuss subjective emotional side. — excitement.
skills: patience, persistence, listening skills, mentoring skills — start simple give positive feedback.
emotions: insecure, excited, intuition, rejection, humiliation,
Referee reports: “something we do to ourselves” don’t talk about because it’s culturally taboo (to discuss how we want to change the system).
Currently tolerate systematic destruction of talent.
Positive cultural values in science: teaching, truth-telling, data sharing.
Power of language: need support to be creative. Fear/stress restricts ability to explore risky solutions.
Self Determined Behavior (on motivation)
- pleasant, feel flow, don’t need external reward to do it. Requires 3 things:
- Competence: have some control. Not trivial nor impossibly challenging.
- Autonomy: feel it comes from you not from someone else: destroyed by neglect or micromanaging. saying yes when you should have said no
- Social relatedness: somebody you care about cares about your work. Get praise from PI / feedback from colleagues – this is cool/interesting.
- EXERCISE: Think about someone you know with low motivation, diagnosis what’s missing, and propose a treatment plan.