MCB seminars: 11/11/14
Germ cell specification in insects. (Extavour lab)
- germline markers: Piwi and vasa
- preformation mode of germ cells — flies, frogs, fish
- induction mode of germ cells – salamanders + mice
- most animals use the induction mode. More likely ancesteral
- Many arthropods do both. Diptera just do preformed mode. Orhoptera just do induction. Cricket just do induction.
- BMP4 is required for the generation of primordial germ cells in mouse. Blimp is a critical downstream factor.
- Piwi expressing cells arise de novo during cricket development, mark germ cell precursors
- blimp1 is co-expresssed with pMad in mesoderm.
- BMP signaling is also required in cricket for PGC specification. (by knockdown and over-expression)
- blimp1 is also conserved in cricket germ cell specification.
This entry was posted in Seminars
. Bookmark the permalink